Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

    Chip> Now the key question: How is Config.pm supposed to know
    Chip> whether it's being called by libperl.so or /usr/bin/perl?

Uh, I missed the begining of this discussion (lost some mail) but: why
would it need to?  I don't see why anything embedding perl in
something else (vim, apache-perl etc) would want to use a different
perl than what the user sees everywhere else.  Donw that path lies
madness.

Would would be more sensible, IMHO, build bothe the .a & .so (the
standard build allows this), choose a default for Config.pm and
provide debian package maintainers a mechanism to override the default
if necessary (ie if the default was useshrlib=undef).

Installing libperl.so in /usr/lib without jumping through hoops to get
a unique SO in the lib would prevent the user from installing multiple
debian perl packages or worse, introduce subtle breakage after
upgrades.  And nothing in the libperl.so build process manages SO
names as there's no cross-platform way of doing so.

--
Stephen

"Farcical aquatic ceremonies are no basis for a system of government!"