Re: Perl 5.6.0 Is Here!

According to Brendan O'Dea:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 07:20:30PM -0800, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> >Of course.  But _which_ Config.pm?  The one found in the binary's
> >default @INC.  And the default @INC is built into ... the binary.
>
> I was assuming that the shared library would be built with the same
> archlib as the static one, and suggesting that the Config.pm from the
> shared build be installed there.

When users build extensions (and run their own code!), they will
absolutely require an accurate Config.pm.

But: It just occurred to me that you could make Config.pm smarter than
the average bear^Wmodule, and have it report a few variables
differently depending on which Perl is calling it:

  useshrplib='true'	# or 'false'
  libperl='libperl.so'	# or 'libperl.a'

etc.

Now the key question: How is Config.pm supposed to know whether it's
being called by libperl.so or /usr/bin/perl?
--
Chip Salzenberg              - a.k.a. -              <chip@valinux.com>