Re: Packaging Apache OpenOffice

Sorry, replied to a wrong address.  Mail updated, too.

On 2012/03/15 07:53, Rene Engelhard said:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:39:09AM +0800, imacat wrote:
>>     Hi.  I would like to ask what should I do if I would like to package
>> and submit the Apache OpenOffice package?
> See http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/03/msg00859.html of my
> postition on this.

    If you must know, I already made Apache OpenOffice different from
LibreOffice.  See:

http://tinyurl.com/7r86jk5

    I am still trying hard to figure out the complex procedure to
contribute my work back to LibreOffice.  You never know the secret.

>>     Apache OpenOffice is following the Apache license, and version 3.4
>> is going to be released.  It would be nice if we can make it into wheezy.
> You mean upgrade the openoffice.org-* packages from 3.2.1 to a new
> openoffice-* 3.4.0 which is two big version jumps with loads of adaptions
> (already done in libreoffice).

    Well, it seems that I and some other will have to do this, though I
may need help.

> Besides that it's technically simply not possible to have them co-installable.

    Actually I'm installing them together now, although with the binary
AOO make system produced.

> The OpenOffice(.org) time in Debian is past. Live with it.

    No, I do not understand.  Is Apache OpenOffice violate the Debian
Policy or the definition of "FOSS" in any way?

    I'm a long time user of Debian, and I am a member of the Apache
OpenOffice Project Management Committee.  I will live with Debian and
Apache OpenOffice in the foreseeable future.  And I believe many people
are, too.  I do not hate LibreOffice, live with the LibreOffice, and I
work with our local LibreOffice community, too.  The current team of
Apache OpenOffice is unrelated to Oracle anymore.  If you personally
hate Oracle or something, its none of the our or Debian users' business.

    Our Taiwan local Apache OpenOffice and LibreOffice community never
hate each other.  The hatred of the English communities really
frustrates us a lot, especially the English communities is our upstream,
although I never know why the English community is dominating our Taiwan
community and we have to live with your hatred.

> Rene

    Nice to meet you.  I did not expect to talk to you here directly.

> P.S: And I believe that people will take you more serious if you didn'z
> post with funny "imarcat" in From but a real name.

P.S. Oh, sorry.  If you must know, my real name is Yang Shih-Ching.  I
used the name "imacat" for more than **20 years* in the local and
international FOSS community, for a personal reason.  You should not
make fun and should take serious to other people's name, especially this
is **unrelated** to our subject.  Please keep in mind that your name may
look funny in some other language, you never know.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw>