Re: OOo2 dependencies don't seem right

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 13:47 +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Drew Parsons wrote:
> > Oh OK.  But what does "won't work" mean?
> >
> > If OOo1 crashes at start up because the OOo2 thesaurus is installed, or
> > vice versa, then the strong conflict makes sense.
>
> That indeed is the case.

OK.  The other arguments would be hypothetical then.

> Uh, the stuff *is* parallel installable currently. Just not the
> thesauri...

True, but it's handy to have a thesaurus installed...

> > Alternatively, if the source of the conflict
> > is /etc/openoffice/dictionary.lst, then would it be a bad idea to have
> > OOo2 to use /etc/openoffice2/, instead?  Seems like this would help
> > simultaneous installation a lot, and it's done that way at the level
> > of /usr/lib.
>
> See the archive of debian-openoffice where I said why I didn't do that.

OK thanks.  Sounds like the soundest argument is that the degree of work
in keeping OOo1 alongside OOo2 is simply too great (in terms of
maintenance, security assurance), and not worth the bother.  In other
words, you're saying my assumption that we want to keep both versions
supported simultaneously is not valid.  I can live with that, so long as
the decision is deliberate and not simply an oversight :)

Drew