Re: Java and OpenOffice.org

Hello list. I follow up on this discussion, now as the article's been
released. Here it may be found:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/22/204244&tid=93

I think this article is very well-written. I also am satisfied with your
quoting of me. However, the comments on NewsForge raises a question in my
head: How effective is Java components?

The comments from the readers vary between "the days of slow Java are over" to
"bloated, huge memory footstamp, buggy". I am no technical expert yet, but I
do realise the threat of OOo dependencies on Java.
Therefore, I have come to the point where I ask the ones who know the
technical details. I believe that would be the guys who hang around
debian-openoffice.

I ask you kindly to estimate the effectiveness of the Java parts of the OOo
code. Are they written well, do you imagine that the use of Java has eased
the development of code, and how does the general result end up performing?
Do you furthermore believe that -- from a technical point of view -- that Java
should be used in OOo, or would/will it bloat the user's system too much?
Would any problems be helped off using GCJ rather than Sun's own environment?

Kind regards, Anders Breindahl.