Re: Java and OpenOffice.org

On (30/03/05 16:16), Anders Breindahl wrote:
> Hello list. I follow up on this discussion, now as the article's been
> released. Here it may be found:
> http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/03/22/204244&tid=93
Good article!

>From a parochial point of view, I share the concerns expressed that this
will slow the adoption of free software.  Along with Firefox and
Thunderbird, OpenOffice is a 'killer' application; running on all three
operating systems most used on PC's, these applications provide a
valuable first step towards introducing free software where the main
proprietory vendors dominate.

Whilst Sun are to be applauded for their support for OOo to date, their
use of it to leverage deployment of Java seems shortsighted at best,
cynical, at worst.

There are instances where non-free software is required to replace
specific functionality of a proprietory alternative but these instances
should be at the margin not in a main stream application, like the only
viable free office suite, OOo.

[snip]

Early resolution is vital; proprietory competitors will welcome any
delay.

Regards

Clive

--