Re: Fonts.

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 01:44, Matt Gracie wrote:
> Believe me, I've checked the online help. I've read everything I could
> find in Google. And I still just can't figure it out.

/usr/share/doc/openoffice.org/README.Debian is the place I guess you
didn't look :)

> How do I add fonts to my OpenOffice install?

"As part of the integration of Ximian's work, openoffice now uses
fontconfig to determine the installed fonts on your system.  Fonts that
were installed using the 'spadmin' tool in a non-standard directory are
no longer supported.  You should move those fonts to a directory that
fontconfig knows about, such as ~/.fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts."

> I've tried running spadmin as a normal user and also as root -- no luck.
> Where is this "Fonts" menu hidden?

The 'add font' functionality of spadmin is only necessary on Linux
because there was no standardised way to add fonts for the whole
system.  The Debian packages are patched to use the fontconfig
mechanism, which provides a way for openoffice.org to find fonts
installed on the system.  OpenOffice.org version 2 will use the
fontconfig mechanism too.

> I downloaded the freefonts tarball
> and I want to install them.

If the fonts you require are not already apt-gettable, copy them into
/usr/share/fonts, or ~/.fonts if you just want to use them with your
user.  See the fontconfig documentation for more information.