Re: OpenOffice for Debian PowerPC testing?

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 20:21, Kevin B. Hendricks wrote:

> It does have gif support and uses the gpc code and will use java if you
> have it enabled unlike the Debian specific versions.  However, you will
> not be violating any licenses by using them.

	OK, nothing violent.  I can live with that until something better comes
along.  Hope it has an uninstaller.

> The JRE actually can as long as you include a significant app that can use
> it (in this case OOo meets that requirement).

	OK, a lesser evil.

> Are you asking about Java with OOo?

	Yes, sorry for the confusion.

> If so, then you do not rally need to
> use java with OOo to get 99% of the functionality.  Using java does allow
> for things like better Accessibility software (see the upcoming OOo 1.1)
> and allows OOo to be a nice front end to lots of databases and etc but
> none of this is necessary.

	Thanks, certainly not necessary for me at any rate.

> And kaffe does build under PowerPC, I contributed that support a long time
> ago when kaffe 1.0.5 first came out.  Also the gnu java (gcj and gij) both
> work well for non-awt apps on PowerPC as well.

	I wonder why it never appears at dselect select?

	Will investigate my mirror.

	Anyway I understand OOo does not use kaffe, but only Sun Java?

--
  _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra    +41 (21) 648 11 34
 / \  Lausanne, Vaud, Suisse                    +41 (78) 778 11 34