Re: OpenOffice for Debian PowerPC testing?

Hi,

> 	Thanks, will try now.  I hope it doesn't corrupt my Debian purity... no
> kidding, I really like being FSF-holy.

It does have gif support and uses the gpc code and will use java if you
have it enabled unlike the Debian specific versions.  However, you will
not be violating any licenses by using them.

> > You can also grab the Balckdown jre (or jdk) 1.3.1 to use with it (and
> > provide the mozilla java plugin for systems with mozilla built with gcc
> > 3.2.X
>
> 	Hm, this would sure conspurcate everything... but, is there any reason
> why it's not in the non-free section?  Or why Kaffe doesn't build for
> PowerPC?

The JDK can not be redistributed without permission by any distribution.
The JRE actually can as long as you include a significant app that can use
it (in this case OOo meets that requirement).

> 	Or more to the point, is it really necessary or desirable to use OOo,
> and why?

Are you asking about Java with OOo?  If so, then you do not rally need to
use java with OOo to get 99% of the functionality.  Using java does allow
for things like better Accessibility software (see the upcoming OOo 1.1)
and allows OOo to be a nice front end to lots of databases and etc but
none of this is necessary.

And kaffe does build under PowerPC, I contributed that support a long time
ago when kaffe 1.0.5 first came out.  Also the gnu java (gcj and gij) both
work well for non-awt apps on PowerPC as well.

Hope this helps,

Kevin