OpenOffice 1.0.2 does not display Office bullets

I sent an email about the inconsistency of OpenOffice in Linux and in Windows, and apparantly that is due more to fonts than anything else.

Here is another issue, which I find annoying. Perhaps it is my system, and perhaps it is another font issue, but as far as I can tell, it shouldn't be.

I am using Debain Woody with kernel 2.4.18 and Openoffice.org 1.0.2.

I have a Word document that has three different bullets. In Word it displays as three different bullets. On my Debian system, Openoffice doesn't display the different bullets, but instead I have an empty box.

On my roommate's Windows system, Openoffice.org (1.0.2) displays check mark bullets, even though some of the bullets shouldn't be.

I can understand on my system that the fonts might be causing the problem, but it seems like an issue with OOo not reading the correct bullets to use.

On a similar note, Impress on my Debian system doesn't display bullets from a Power Point document either. While it does display the empty box, it renders the text on top of the place where the bullet should be. See image here: http://lauragb.movealong.org/impress_bullets1.png I can understand that the bullets used in MS Office are proprietary. I would think that if impress won't render the bullets it could at least move the text to the right of the empty boxes.

Perhaps it already does and this is an issue with my system.
I provide the Power Point slide in question at my site as well: http://lauragb.movealong.org/Technical_Instructions.ppt

Thanks,
Gianfranco