Re: Locales names in OOo

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks to you and Jermoe's progress, I've made some more observations
about this problem.

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 09:56:29PM +0200, Nicolas Petrikowski wrote:
> It looks like OOo needs LC_ALL=fr-FR to use the correct resources (with number
> 33) from /usr/lib/openoffice/program/resource/. With LC_ALL=fr_FR@euro or even
> LC_ALL=fr_FR, English resources are used.

It seems that here we have the first problem:  OOo does not recognise LC_ALL
in the same way as LANG.  Although our wrapper does recognise LC_ALL, OOo's
user interface comes up in  English.

LANG=fr_FR@euro openoffice -> I get the interface in French
LC_ALL=fr_FR@euro openoffice -> I get the interface in English

I hadn't actually realised that until I read your mail - I had always been
testing with LANG instead of LC_ALL.

Can you confirm that all is OK if you use LANG instead of LC_ALL?

> Probably this error comes from the OOo sources themselves, in the part where
> the locales is converted in an international phone code, which is used to
> identify resources.

Yes, I don't remember having seen LC_ALL used as a fallback when I looked at
the code.

The second problem is an error in the wrapper script logic, which is the
cause of settings being lost:

LOCALE=<new locale from environment>
OLDLOCALE=<previous locale name>

if Linguistic.xml.$OLDLOCALE does not exist then create it

if LOCALE != OLDLOCALE
  filter Linguistic.xml.$OLDLOCALE --> Linguistic.xml

So the old version of Linguistic.xml is used again and again, not the new
one:

  # change Linguistic.xml
  sed "s/>$OLDLOCALE</>$LOCALE</" $LINGFILE.$OLDLOCALE > $LINGFILE

The logic of the script depends on the old locale always being en-US, so the
fix is not completely trivial.  Mandrake use Twig to process the XML, which
should be far more robust.  Really we should be using the OpenOffice
configuration API itself, because XML is only one possible implementation of
the config backend (similar to how debconf has several backends to the
configuration database).