Re: [Pkg-octave-devel] building with Qt 5?

On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 11:48:37AM -0700, Mike Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 10:39:09 +0200, Rafael Laboissière wrote:
> > I am just curious: is there a Qt 4->5 transition planne in Debian?
>
> This is the only guidance about moving from Qt 4 to 5 that I could find,
> from the start of stretch development cycle:
>
>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/05/msg00001.html
>
> Other than that, I don't know. I think upstreams decide which Qt version
> to support, or either. Qt 4 and 5 are very different and easily coexist,
> as long as they are not mixed within a binary.
>
> Qt 4 is nearing its upstream end-of-life from what I've read, so I guess
> it's up to the Qt/KDE team to decide how much effort is put into
> continuing to maintain Qt 4 in Debian.

The Qt/KDE team has just announced that they want Qt 4 to be removed before the
Buster release, and that they are going to put minimal maintenance into Qt 4
before that happens:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2017/08/msg00006.html

So this means we should accelerate the transition to Qt 5.

Is upstream officially supporting Qt 5?

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦   Sébastien Villemot
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer