camlp4-extra (<< 3.13) [was ... otags reloaded 3.12.1 ...]

Hi,

thanks for your hints. I would like to discuss one issue separately

Stéphane Glondu writes:

   Please do not put the versioned dependencies to camlp4-extra in the
   binary package. The dependencies generated by dh_ocaml
   (${ocaml:Depends}) should do what you want.

No it does not. Using

Package: otags
Depends:
 camlp4-extra,
 ${ocaml:Depends},
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 ${misc:Depends}

in debian/control gives

Package: otags
Version: 3.12.2-1
Depends: camlp4-extra, libc6 (>= 2.7)

in the package. And then I can even install this package in
Squeeze alongside ocaml 3.11.2. Then its an easy exercise to
produce a segmentation fault with otags. The same could happen
when ocaml 3.13 enters Debian.

I can only repeat myself:

   Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:24:27 +0100

   Further, with
   non-standard syntax extensions, otags uses an external camlp4 for
   parsing, WHICH SENDS THE AST BACK AS MARSHALED VALUE (PRINTER
   DUMPCAMLP4). THIS CANNOT WORK WITH A DIFFERENT MAJOR VERSION.

   Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:37:20 +0100

   If somebody manages to install a debian package of otags 3.12
   (which was compiled with ocaml 3.12) together with ocaml 3.11 or
   3.13 then he can see crashes or other kinds of wired behavior,
   BECAUSE, ONCE COMPILED, OTAGS 3.12 IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OCAML
   3.11 OR 3.13.

Bye,

Hendrik