Re: names of distribution-branches in the git repository

On 22/11/2010 15:15, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
>>> - in the Debian OCaml reference:
>>>
>>> - if we package something for anything else than sid:
>>>
>>> - create a set of branch $distrib/master, $distrib/upstream forked
>>>  from the master, upstream branches (E.g. squeeze/master,
>>> squeeze/upstream)
>>>

>> Why adding the condition "forked from"? What if I want to rework my
>> packaging from scratch? and What if the new upstream release has
>> nothing to do with previous releases? It $distrib < sid, then ok…
>> but in this case, it should be forked from
>> "debian/$distrib's_version" and "upstream/$distrib's_version" IMHO.
>>

> Forked from scratch -> you can work from scratch with history. Even if
>  you delete everything, you can keep history of this big change...

I'm not sure it's relevant then. I would not keep the history if I'm
reworking from scratch. ymmv

>> I'm not sure that we should enforce anything on how/from what the
>> branches were created here.
>>
>>> - set debian/gbp.conf accordingly (upstream-branch and
>>> debian-branch)
>>>

>> Why? or did you forget to add "in $distrib/debian"?
>
> I mean that we should add/change upstream-branch = upstream to
> upstream-branch = $distrib/upstream
>
> and debian-branch = master to debian-branch = $distrib/master

Yeah, I did understand that. But, I wouldn't not commit that on "master".
The default remains "sid", IMHO.

>>> - in dom-new-git-repo:
>>>
>>> - add an option (-t $distrib) to fork upstream and master branches
>>> remotely and check them out locally.
>>>

>> How do you fork from something that doesn't exist? (e.g. master). Is
>> this option relevant here?
>>

> My idea is that dom-new-git-repo should do the forks for us.
>
> Maybe we should not use the script dom-new-git-repo for that. Maybe we
>  can use a script called dom-fork-git-repo or something similar...

Will we end up with a helper tool for each git command? I think that we
might need to use Git directly instead of writing scripts.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/