Re: names of distribution-branches in the git repository

On 22-11-2010, Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:
> On 22/11/2010 14:15, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
>>
>> May I suggest my own summary, about this feature (trying to solve
>> conflicts between all opinions):
>
> I think that we all agreed on Stéphane's proposal (at least, those
> who raised their voice here). Didn't we? :)

The only thing, I had against Stéphane proposal was about */upstream.
But as you see in the summary, I change my mind about that.

Stéphane's proposal seems reasonable to me.

>> - in the Debian OCaml reference:
>>
>> - if we package something for anything else than sid:
>>
>> - create a set of branch $distrib/master, $distrib/upstream forked
>> from the master, upstream branches (E.g. squeeze/master,
>> squeeze/upstream)
>>

> Why adding the condition "forked from"? What if I want to rework my
> packaging from scratch? and What if the new upstream release has nothing
> to do with previous releases? It $distrib < sid, then ok… but in this
> case, it should be forked from "debian/$distrib's_version" and
> "upstream/$distrib's_version" IMHO.

Forked from scratch -> you can work from scratch with history. Even if
you delete everything, you can keep history of this big change...

> I'm not sure that we should enforce anything on how/from what the branches
> were created here.
>
>> - set debian/gbp.conf accordingly (upstream-branch and debian-branch)
>>

> Why? or did you forget to add "in $distrib/debian"?

I mean that we should add/change
upstream-branch = upstream
upstream-branch = $distrib/upstream

and
debian-branch = master
debian-branch = $distrib/master

>> - the pristine-tar branch remains the same
>
> pristine-tar branch should not be branched… since it's just a directory
> with known versions (as I see it).
>
>> - in dom-git-checkout:
>>
>> - if */master exists, display an information note listing other
>> branches.  E.g.: You checkout master but experimental/master and
>> squeeze/master also exists
>>
>> - add an option (-t $distrib) to fetch/checkout $distrib/upstream and
>> $distrib/master, with a special keyword "all" that ifetch all $distrib
>
> Seems reasonable for me.
>
>> - in dom-new-git-repo:
>>
>> - add an option (-t $distrib) to fork upstream and master branches
>> remotely and check them out locally.
>>

> How do you fork from something that doesn't exist? (e.g. master). Is this
> option relevant here?

My idea is that dom-new-git-repo should do the forks for us.

Maybe we should not use the script dom-new-git-repo for that. Maybe we
can use a script called dom-fork-git-repo or something similar...

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall