Re: names of distribution-branches in the git repository

On 22/11/2010 14:15, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:

> May I suggest my own summary, about this feature (trying to solve
> conflicts between all opinions):

I think that we all agreed on Stéphane's proposal (at least, those
who raised their voice here). Didn't we? :)

> - in the Debian OCaml reference:
>
> - if we package something for anything else than sid:
>
> - create a set of branch $distrib/master, $distrib/upstream forked
> from the master, upstream branches (E.g. squeeze/master,
> squeeze/upstream)

Why adding the condition "forked from"? What if I want to rework my
packaging from scratch? and What if the new upstream release has nothing
to do with previous releases? It $distrib < sid, then ok… but in this
case, it should be forked from "debian/$distrib's_version" and
"upstream/$distrib's_version" IMHO.

I'm not sure that we should enforce anything on how/from what the branches
were created here.

> - set debian/gbp.conf accordingly (upstream-branch and debian-branch)

Why? or did you forget to add "in $distrib/debian"?

> - the pristine-tar branch remains the same

pristine-tar branch should not be branched… since it's just a directory
with known versions (as I see it).

> - in dom-git-checkout:
>
> - if */master exists, display an information note listing other
> branches.  E.g.: You checkout master but experimental/master and
> squeeze/master also exists
>
> - add an option (-t $distrib) to fetch/checkout $distrib/upstream and
> $distrib/master, with a special keyword "all" that ifetch all $distrib

Seems reasonable for me.

> - in dom-new-git-repo:
>
> - add an option (-t $distrib) to fork upstream and master branches
> remotely and check them out locally.

How do you fork from something that doesn't exist? (e.g. master). Is this
option relevant here?

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي