Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 09:35:42AM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote:
> On 23-08-2010, Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr> wrote:

> >> Could you be more precise about the features we add. I don't have
> >> examples in mind. I don't consider that FHS compliance is a feature for
> >> example but I don't see any commmon case where Debian packagers add a
> >> new function to a library.
> >
> > Looking through the hevea changelog:

[...]

> Are you not afraid of portability problem with other distro not shipping
> these changes?

Not at all.

Of course one should try to coordinate with upstream, and also take their
advice into consideration. However, sometimes one just prefers a different
solution. Besides the case in hevea with gif/png, I remember a different
case where I had proposed a patch to upstream which was rejected since
it would have been difficult to port to windows. The result was another
fork in one single functionality (determining the locale of the user).

-Ralf.