Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

On 21-08-2010, Florent Monnier <monnier.florent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le samedi 21 août 2010 18:46:59, Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :

>> > IMO the idea of putting a comment to the added METAs is good
>> > so then someone who care about writing a Makefile that will work
>> > on a pristine install can do it
>> >
>> > Also maybe we could use the same comment in several distro
>> > so that users can use the same grep command without needing to care
>> > which distro they use.
>>
>> We could even define a variable for this e.g. add:
>>
>> origin = "Debian"
>>
>> in the META file. This is better than a comment: you can grep it and you
>> can programmatically access it through findlib. It is also a construct
>> allowed by META syntax (i.e. you can define useless variables).
>
> Yes, but if the upstream puts:
> origin = "Debian"
> and if mdv puts
> origin = "Mandriva"
> it becomes harder to filter from only one grep command (and in a generic way
> over different distros) which comes from packagers.
> Do you understand?

No!

Please give me examples of what you expect and how origin = "Debian"
differs from a comment. The main point for me is to let end user (i.e
ocam dev. that uses debian) know that some META has been written by
ocaml team and hence can differ in other distro. A META provided by
upstream doesn't need anything, in this case.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall