Re: overhaul of the debian ocaml policy

Le samedi 21 août 2010 20:36:59, Sylvain Le Gall a écrit :
> On 21-08-2010, Florent Monnier <monnier.florent@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> We could even define a variable for this e.g. add:
> >>
> >> origin = "Debian"
> >>
> >> in the META file. This is better than a comment: you can grep it and you
> >> can programmatically access it through findlib. It is also a construct
> >> allowed by META syntax (i.e. you can define useless variables).
> >
> > Yes, but if the upstream puts:
> > origin = "Debian"
> > and if mdv puts
> > origin = "Mandriva"
> > it becomes harder to filter from only one grep command (and in a generic
> > way over different distros) which comes from packagers.
> > Do you understand?
>
> No!
>
> Please give me examples of what you expect and how origin = "Debian"
> differs from a comment. The main point for me is to let end user (i.e
> ocam dev. that uses debian) know that some META has been written by
> ocaml team and hence can differ in other distro. A META provided by
> upstream doesn't need anything, in this case.

Please forgive me for my poor explanation,
I have no preference for a comment over a tag, I don't really care,
the only thing I mean is that it would be nice if we had one keyword in this
string that a user can expect to find whatever distro he's using.

For example if we use:
origin="packaging::Debian"
origin="packaging::Mandriva"

then one can get the list of the added META with this single command:
$ grep -l packaging `ocamlc -where`/*/META

But if we use:
origin="Debian"
origin="Mandriva"
then the user has to know which distro he's using first, before to grep it as a
keyword.
and in this example you can't use "origin" as a keyword too, because you can't
prevent an upstream to use an "origin" field too, for example:
origin="janest"
OK one can grep "origin" to display its content, but not *filter* the META files
that come from packagers.

I hope what I mean is clearer now, is it?

--
Regards
Florent