Re: RFH: Where/How to setup RCS for new libfuse-ocaml package

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 01:12:09PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> That would be a minor release. Non-Debian users don't have to
> package every minor release.

Non-Debian users (note that the set can include other distro
maintainers) will not be able to assign a semantics a priori to your
minor releases. For some upstreams minor releases mean nothing, for
some other mean world changing patches. How do you plan to make clear
that your minor releases are Debian-only?

That's exactly why it make sense to have Debian-specific releases
which do not bother non-Debian users (achieved easily with a tarball
not containing debian/).

> > No it is not. Git is explicitly designed around branches and
> > around not having the hassle to maintain the way you used to
> > maintain then in CVS or SVN. You will just have to maintain 1
> > branch and from time to time sync it with the other.
>
> I edit something in the upstream branch. For that I write a
> changelog entry and possibly remove the item from the todo
> list. Then I commit that.

Yes, where "changelog" means non-Debian related changelog (i.e., you
will not write there stuff like "bumped debhelper compatibility level
to 7").

> Now I edit the debian/changelog to bump the debian version with an
> entry of possibly just "Merging upstream" and commit that. I can't
> keep the debian version the same as the released package. That would
> just get me confused.
>
> Last I merge, build and use.
>
> With 2 branches upstream changes become more work. Correct me if I
> am wrong but the problem is that the "from time to time" you
> mentioned above is for every upstream change I do.

If the change you mead implied an upstream release, you usually just
need to run one command: git-import-orig. debian/changelog entry with
new version will be filled by you automatically by the tool, possibly
merging old debian-specific changes which were applied in the debian
branch.

Hence, to answer your doubt: no, it is not each time you make an
upstream *change*, it is each time you make an upstream *release*. I
presume that as an upstream, you don't want to release each time you
make a commit? We have VCSs for that ...

> Maybe once the bindings are complete and stabilized things look
> different. But currently a native package looks way simpler.

Note that we have never said that the non-native package way is
*simpler*, we have said it is the *correct* one :-). Still, it is not
that more complex, as we have good tools already.