Re: RFH: Where/How to setup RCS for new libfuse-ocaml package

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 08:30:48PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> There is no pristine tarball and I don't intend to ever release
> anything without a debian dir. There is no upstream svn
> repository. There is just the fully debianized source. A native
> Debian package.

Note that there is QA consensus that having as native Debian packages
softwares which are not Debian-specific is a bad idea. libfuse-ocaml
is definitely not Debian-specific and IMO you should release it
without a debian/ dir inside. It is pretty easy to do too, just add an
exclude pattern to tar and you are done.

I'm personally responsible of a bug in that respect for ocaml-http,
which currently is a Debian native package while it should not. I
consider it as a current bug in the package which should be fixed.

Nevertheless, if you want to go ahead and use d-o-m infrastructure to
maintain libfuse-ocaml by all mean go ahead, we will not inhibit that
on the basis that it should not be a native Debian package. QA sooner
or later will take care of all such packages.

Nevertheless, if you are going to use d-o-m infrastructure please
follow our rules / best practices. In particular, choose whether you
want your package to be team-maintained or not. If yes, put "Debian
OCaml Maintainers" as Maintainer and yourself as an Uploader. Also,
please set up commit notifications on IRC and mail; we have scripts to
automate that.

If you do not want your package to be team maintained, keep yourself
as the Maintainer but please coordinate with us for transitions and
other ocaml-wide changes.

> Can git-buildpackage work on native packages? Is there a quick guide
> on how to configure for that?

It is the same as with non-native packages. With the default settings
you will simply happen to have upstream always in sync with
master. I still suggest using pristine-tar + git-import-orig, it is a
sane workflow also for native packages.