Re: RFH: Where/How to setup RCS for new libfuse-ocaml package

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 01:30:37PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> That implies that I publish it somwhere and test build and use it as
> non Debian package, which I won't. I don't feel comfortable making a
> release I never use.

It is not true that you never use it. You use it as the base for your
packaging, you test it when you build your .debs. Also, this enables
Debian side to do releases for Debian-only modifications without
having to re-upload everything.

Remember that given how OCaml is made, you usually have to bump build
dependencies before uploads and that is a (recurrent) example of
Debian-only change. Why you want to force your non-Debian users to
have a new upstream release for things they will not care about?

In the perfect world, all our transitions will be made in the future
using binNMUs, but mistakes happen.

But again, this is not something OCaml-specific, not having debian/
dirs in packages which are not Debian-specific is a discouraged
practice. It will strike back.

> Maintainer and Uploader is already set. Hooks are on my ToDo. Is it
> ok to just copy the hooks dir from e.g. dh-ocaml?

Have a look at our scripts, and mimic what they do. They are in our
svn: project/git-guide/new-d-o-m-git-repo (waiting to be shipped
within dh-ocaml).

> > It is the same as with non-native packages. With the default settings
> > you will simply happen to have upstream always in sync with
> > master. I still suggest using pristine-tar + git-import-orig, it is a
> > sane workflow also for native packages.
>
> Expect that it is much more work as you have to manage each branch in
> turn instead of just one branch. Not to mention maintaining 2
> changelogs and 2 todo lists.

No it is not. Git is explicitly designed around branches and around
not having the hassle to maintain the way you used to maintain then in
CVS or SVN. You will just have to maintain 1 branch and from time to
time sync it with the other.