Re: RFH: Where/How to setup RCS for new libfuse-ocaml package

Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> As I'm writing both upstream source and debian packaging I would like
> to have both source and packaging in a single RCS. I also prefer svn
> or mercurial. Beyond that I'm pretty much open to anything and welcome
> comaintainers.

Currently, team-maintained packages are maintained with either svn or
git, the svn workflow being kind of deprecated.

I don't think packaging your program using svn will help you (even if
the upstream is svn), giving the way things are done in svn (versioning
of tarballs, non-direct access to sources). Therefore, I would recommend
you just to do as usual, i.e. using pristine-tar / git-buildpackage.

If you want to keep upstream history in the Debian package repository,
you can try to use git-svn. But in all cases (using svn or git or
git-svn), you'll need to have two separate VCS... unless you use git for
upstream (as in e.g. approx).

I am not familiar with mercurial, nor on how things are done when
packaging Debian things with mercurial. You can have a look at [1] or
[2] to see how things are done. This way, you could have a single
repository for upstream and the Debian packaging. But keep in mind that
you'll find help more easily inside the Debian OCaml Team if you use git.

[1] http://hg.debian.org/hg/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Hg

If you do want to use mercurial and have your package team-maintained (I
am not strongly against it, but others might object), please provide a
quick guide with references in a README.source file, or add an appendix
to our policy.

Stéphane