Re: patch management with git

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 01:05:46AM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> In my understanding of (some people's) (best-?) practices,
> upstream+patches is patched upstream, without debian/, and master is
> patched upstream, with debian/ (with upstream+patches merged in it). At
> least, this is what I do in my new packages. In this way, "git diff
> upstream..upstream+patches" gives you a patch ready for upstream submission.

Actually, it does not, as with that command you get one big patch, which
might well mix changes Debian-specific which you do not to push upstream
with others you want to. Also, "one big patch" is not usually good
enough to be pushed upstream, in case of medium-size patches or bigger.

> However, I agree this might not be clear, so I think whatever the
> choice, a good think would be to document it in README.source.

ACK.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science \ PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled /\ All one has to do is hit the