Re: tarball free builds

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:48:50PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 06:55 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Debian official source format is pristine upstream tarball
> > + .diff.gz + dsc description file (or tarball + dsc file).
> >
> > So, i don't think you can replace that tarball with an svn tree, and
> > furthermore you should really strip all the non-release information from said
> > tarball (including the .svn stuff and so on).
>
> Why is that 'non-release' information? It is actually a supreme
> pain removing precisely what I WANT people to get: a way to
> upgrade their development tree.

Because the packages are static tarball, used by build daemons to build debian
binary packages, and not (not ever) intented to be installed on the user
system for anything else than build packages of. The extra non-release
information is just cruft which will bloat the archive.

Users are not expected to use them to upgrade their devel tree in any way,
please either use a distrib like gentoo if that is what you want, or have them
build out of SVN, not use debian binary packages.

> > But it is a bit unclear of what you intent to do.
>
> Simple: reduce the work of making a release to a
> single svn command to tag the repository.

Well, a proper do-release target in your makefile should easily enough achieve
a proper and clean release tarball. Most everyone else does it, so it should
not be all that complicated.

> Reduce the maintenance of the release by refusing
> to make any changes to it. If it doesn't work,
> just get the next one (of course we will fix bugs ..
> in the svn trunk).

So, how is using this tag that different from using a plain pristine tarball
generated from that tag ?

The main point is though that we promised our users the source, accompanying
the binaries more often than not, and there is no guarantee we have that your
svn repo will stay on, or whatever.

The tarballs mean we can guarantee to our users that the sources will not go
away, they are archived at many places on the mirror network and at
snapshot.debian.org too.