tarball free builds

hi, currently Debian typically requires 'tarballs' to make
source packages.

This is a PITB because it requires some messy release concept,
keeping track of what needs to be tarred up, etc.

I'm thinking of switching my project over so there's only
one way to build from source: directly from svn.

This is partly because having switched from CVS to SVN
on Sourceforge, I've noticed that developers and non-developers
alike get the sources the same way from the same archive:
non-developers just can't commit.

Instead of tarballs, just use a release tag.

The problem is upgrading branches .. it's an untenable
violation of progress, requires messy merging, and other
stuff. If a tagged release is bugged .. too bad, try
the next one, we're only going to put fixes at the
head of the trunk.

If you don't have svn .. you can't build the project
from source. Get real! You aren't a developer -- please
download a binary package!

Is it practical to do this with Debian? With Ocaml-maint
the tarball is put in svn anyhow .. can we just copy
the svn image instead?