Re: tarball free builds

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:53:01AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> hi, currently Debian typically requires 'tarballs' to make
> source packages.
>
> This is a PITB because it requires some messy release concept,
> keeping track of what needs to be tarred up, etc.
>
> I'm thinking of switching my project over so there's only
> one way to build from source: directly from svn.
>
> This is partly because having switched from CVS to SVN
> on Sourceforge, I've noticed that developers and non-developers
> alike get the sources the same way from the same archive:
> non-developers just can't commit.
>
> Instead of tarballs, just use a release tag.
>
> The problem is upgrading branches .. it's an untenable
> violation of progress, requires messy merging, and other
> stuff. If a tagged release is bugged .. too bad, try
> the next one, we're only going to put fixes at the
> head of the trunk.
>
> If you don't have svn .. you can't build the project
> from source. Get real! You aren't a developer -- please
> download a binary package!
>
> Is it practical to do this with Debian? With Ocaml-maint
> the tarball is put in svn anyhow .. can we just copy
> the svn image instead?

Debian official source format is pristine upstream tarball
+ .diff.gz + dsc description file (or tarball + dsc file).

So, i don't think you can replace that tarball with an svn tree, and
furthermore you should really strip all the non-release information from said
tarball (including the .svn stuff and so on).

But it is a bit unclear of what you intent to do.