Re: pkg like shlibs

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 07:49:42PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 10:13 +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > We already moved some this way with ocaml, who installs in
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/<version>, but didn't go the full way.
>
> Ok, can I do this too? I would install in:
>
> /usr/lib/felix/felix-1.1.2

/usr/lib/felix/1.1.2 should be enough :)

> > There are two issues
> > remaining :
> >
> >   1) binaries are not versioned. Upstream support for this is a bit fishy, and
> >   it would have represented lot of work.
> >
> >   2) we decided to keep only a single ocaml non versioned package, in order to
> >   avoid issues with NEW and lag due to the ftp-masters overload.
>
> I understand. What happens, if I upgrade my Ocaml? Does the old
> directory get deleted due to a conflict removing the old
> Ocaml package first?

yes. Well, only the part of it which is in the old dir gets removed.

> I can cope with that temporarily -- just tell people to
>
> 	cp -R /usr/lib/felix/felix-1.1.2 /usr/local/felix/
>
> or perhaps copy to ~/felix as they see fit -- if they want to save

Bah, just go the full way, and have binaries being version dependent, like gcc
does. You can put the manpages in a separate binary package, and have only one
installed.

> the old version. I won't be installing my own package .. I don't
> want any installed version because it will interfere with testing
> the development version. Also why I don't install Ocaml via

Bah, just install in a separate changeroot.