Re: Symlinks in svn : please test it !

On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:08:51PM +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 04:00:45PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> > svn: Cannot replace a directory from within
>
> This rather unhelpful error message means that the directory you are
> trying to update has been moved or deleted.
>
> You need to go up one or two directory levels and try the update
> again.
>
> Does anyone know what the purpose of the 'trunk' directory is?  Is
> this a subversion thing?  It's very confusing to one coming from a CVS
> background.

in subversion, directories are both branches and tags.

The old structure was that in each package we had the trunk, the tags and some
branches. Now that we moved the tags to the toplevel, there is often only the
trunk.

This name is fully arbitrary, we could have chosen head instead, or sid or
whatever, and in fact stefano has already started removing it, but i don't
really agree with his approach.