Re: script for accessing external packages

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 01:16:17PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:37:09PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Well, the idea is to have all the packages in the same place, so we can do
> > automated rebuilds and uploads for things like that, or automated running of
>
> Ok, good point.
>
> > Maybe you could put your packages in the collective SVN in the following way :
> >   1) have a pkg-ocaml-maint/external dir where all externally maintained stuff
> >   is.
>
> Am I wrong or we already have external packages on svn?, IIRC someone use
> a versioning system different from svn and has put a readme in some dir.

Yes, ara, which uses its own ara project and uses svn there.

> I think is better to have packages in the packages/ dir alltogether with
> either the debian/ dir or the script you mention below.

Ok, but we already have a project dir, with native debian/ocaml packages (that
is, not debian + orig, but full tree).

> >   2) have a dir for each package there, and it would include a script or
> >   something pointing to where the stuff is, and possibly how to download it,
>
> Ok, we just need to decide the convention I propose to name the script
> "external" and invoke it with the parameter "get". The expected output
> is a debian/ directory + an .orig.tar.gz tarball as if the package is
> kept on svn.

Yep. Mmm, what format would the output have ?

> Previous existing stuff with the same name will be deleted.

Yep. Maybe it would be best to have the script in
pkg-ocaml-maint/packages|external/<package-name> and in this dir, have the
script, and the package unpacking of it in trunk or external-trunk ?

> In this way automatic script should first check if there exists
> 'external', if so they should invoke it, otherwise they should find the
> debian/ dir already there.

yep.

> Is it ok? If so I'll put it for packages of mine.

Yes, please.