script for accessing external packages

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:37:09PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Well, the idea is to have all the packages in the same place, so we can do
> automated rebuilds and uploads for things like that, or automated running of

Ok, good point.

> Maybe you could put your packages in the collective SVN in the following way :
>   1) have a pkg-ocaml-maint/external dir where all externally maintained stuff
>   is.

Am I wrong or we already have external packages on svn?, IIRC someone use
a versioning system different from svn and has put a readme in some dir.

I think is better to have packages in the packages/ dir alltogether with
either the debian/ dir or the script you mention below.

>   2) have a dir for each package there, and it would include a script or
>   something pointing to where the stuff is, and possibly how to download it,

Ok, we just need to decide the convention I propose to name the script
"external" and invoke it with the parameter "get". The expected output
is a debian/ directory + an .orig.tar.gz tarball as if the package is
kept on svn.

Previous existing stuff with the same name will be deleted.

In this way automatic script should first check if there exists
'external', if so they should invoke it, otherwise they should find the
debian/ dir already there.

Is it ok? If so I'll put it for packages of mine.