Re: mod_caml and cocanwiki (was: Re: Cocanwiki package)

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 05:05:31PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation. I therefore propose to have two packages
> (probably this is exactly what you already did, but I'm offline and I
> don't have an up-to-date copy of the SVN repo, see below, sorry).
>
> The first one, named "libapache-mod-caml" following the apache mod
> convention, will contain mod_caml.so, the registry and misc stuff like
> the icons.
>
> I'm a bit puzzled about the second one. I think it would be good to have
> a "libtemplate-ocaml-dev" package since template processing is a useful
> task even without mod_caml. But now I don't know what to do with
> Cgi_escape, IMO it's not worth the effort to make a package just for it
> since we already have ocamlnet which have similar features. I think we
> could simply install Cgi_escape in /usr/lib/ocaml/3.08/apache/ and let
> it be contained in the mod-caml package. In the future we can put there
> other auxiliary modules of mod-caml as well.
>
> What do you think of this naming/split?
>
> Regarding the dependencies of the two package they should be independent
> (no Depends), IMO you can make mod-caml package Suggests or Recommends
> libtemplate-ocaml-dev depending on how much you consider it a useful
> extension for mod-caml programmers. I would go for Recommends.
>
> Regarding examples they should be put in the mod-caml package.
>
> .cmi/.mli should be installed side by side with the package containing
> corresponding ocaml objects.

You should find that the mod_caml and cocanwiki packages in SVN now
conform to the new naming scheme you have outlined above.

In addition, I set the architecture of cocanwiki to 'all' because I
noticed that it doesn't actually contain any architecture-dependent
files, only bytecodes.

Rich.

"One serious obstacle to the adoption of good programming languages is
the notion that everything has to be sacrificed for speed. In computer
languages as in life, speed kills." -- Mike Vanier