Re: Ocaml 3.08.0-2 ready to enter testing, hold back by 54+4 packages.

On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 03:39:53PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 10:07:55AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > This also means that one could install libounit-ocaml-dev_1.0.0-3 (built
> > with ocaml 3.08) together with a different version of ocaml, which
> > should probably not be possible.
>
> So this should not be possible.

OK, if the on-disk format does change, I'll agree with you that this is
not doing the right thing.

But the OCaml policy is not doing the right thing either.

I have no reasno to believe that ounit will be incompatible with OCaml
3.09.  In fact, it works fine with 3.07 too.  If somebody has that
version of OCaml on their system, they should be able to just grab the
ounit source package, build it, and get a deb that depends on
ocaml-base-nox-3.09 or 3.07 or whatever.  The source package should not
hardcode in those versions except in exceptional circumstances.  In this
case, I hardcoded >= 3.08 to force the autobuilders to rebuild things in
the proper order.  I intend to remove that later, since 3.08 is not
really needed for ounit.

Perhaps we can use the shlibs mechanism or something for this?

Incidentally, why do they change the on-disk format so much?

And, while we're at it, why do we bother putting the version number in
the ocaml lib directory if we only support one ocaml version on the
system at a time?  If we're going to put the version number there, we
should support multiple versions (like Python does).  Otherwise, having
the version number there is pointless.

> > ounit will enter testing as soon as the s390 build is uploaded and its
> > 10 days are over, because its dependency on ocaml will be satisfied in
> > testing). I can file a serious bug in the BTS if necessary, to block
> > this migration.

What exactly is the problem with this?

-- John