Re: new postgres ocaml bindings

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 02:26:30PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "via deps". I suppose it's
> > an ocamldbi build time choice which binding is used, right? So as soon
> Yes and no.  The -dev package would Depend on both bindings.

I think this is not a smart approach. Does ocamldbi have two different
drivers, one for each postgresql binding? I hope not, but if this is the
case what's the point in having them? A user using ocamldbi is
interested just in using postgres, not in using this or that particular
postgres binding ...

> This means that having our ocamldbi support both will not cause any
> extra problem for users of ocamldbi-using apps, but will bring in an
> extra package for people using the -dev.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm worried about.

> > ocamldbi is still not that widespread, I'm sure there's a lot of
> > database specific code already written.
> Yeah I know, but you were talking about people looking for a new library
> (or converting from old ones).  I just want to strongly discourage
> database-specific code :-)

Ok, but just to nitpick, I was thinking about a user having to compile
some databse-specific ocaml code and looking for the needed library :-P