Re: new postgres ocaml bindings

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 09:05:25PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 01:37:39PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > FWIW, ocamldbi supports both, and can do so simultaneously.  So, for the
> > moment, I suppose I'll build both interfaces; end-user apps will Do The
> > Right Thing via deps, I believe.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "via deps". I suppose it's
> an ocamldbi build time choice which binding is used, right? So as soon

Yes and no.  The -dev package would Depend on both bindings.

A program that is compiled with ocamldbi will link in only the code
used.  Since Postgres is a shared library, it will also Depend on that
automatically, via dpkg-shlibdeps, if the program uses Postgres.

This means that having our ocamldbi support both will not cause any
extra problem for users of ocamldbi-using apps, but will bring in an
extra package for people using the -dev.

> > I would hope that people would use OcamlDBI for this and not write code
> > for any particular database.
>
> ocamldbi is still not that widespread, I'm sure there's a lot of
> database specific code already written.

Yeah I know, but you were talking about people looking for a new library
(or converting from old ones).  I just want to strongly discourage
database-specific code :-)

-- John