Re: Perl4caml packaged

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:24:30AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> > > Sweet.  ocamldbi is going to be my next ITP.  That's why I packaged up
> > > perl4caml, in fact :-)
> > >
> > > BTW: it would be really, really cool to see ocamldbi support ocamlodbc
> > > as a database driver.  Think it could happen? :-)
> >
> > Sure ... anything could happen!  Unfortunately however my one brush
> > with ODBC - namely trying to get StarOffice on Linux to talk to a
> > PostgreSQL server - didn't go very well, so I haven't really worked
> > ODBC out.
>
> The OCaml ODBC interface is very simple.  Too simple, in fact.
> Basically, it will let you load up the entire result of a query into
> RAM, optionally with column metadata.  Then you just iterate over it.
>
> There are only about 5 functions defined there.

That's good.  PostgreSQL works the same way (w.r.t. loading all the
results into RAM at once).  I'll have a look at it anyway.  Someone
else was asking about this on ocaml-beginners so maybe he'll pay me to
do it (:-)

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/