Re: lablgtk, camlimages, advi, cameleon and libpng.

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 05:17:52PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well, we encountered a build problem in advi, which seems to be related
> to cameleon's linkage of libpng10 and lablgtk.
>
> I don't remember what the situation is exactly, but i remember that
> libpng10 was to be used with lablgtk1, and libpng12 was to be used with
> lablgtk2 and that cameleon is the only remaining app that depends on
> lablgtk2.
>
> I thus propose the following plan, and an alternative plan below it :
>
> Plan A:
>
>   - we rename lablgtk2 to lablgtk, and it becomes our default lablgtk.
>   - lablgtk2 is linked with libpng12.
>   - camlimage is built with it.
>   - we rename current lablgtk as lablgtk1 for compatibility reasons.
>   - cameleon is either fixed to build with lablgtk2.
>
> Plan B:
>
>   - we upload a camlimage2 linked with libpng12 and using lablgtk2.
>   - cameleon is linked with camlimage1 and lablgtk1 and libpng10.
>   - advi is linked with camlimage2.
>
> What do you think of it ? Especially, i would like comments from the
> cameleon people, but it has been a long time since the lablgtk2
> migration was started, so ...
>
> Also, are there other apps still depending on lablgtk1 ? If so what is
> their status. BTW, i am not speaking about third party apps, only debian
> packaged ones.

I think it is best to keep the current naming scheme ie lablgtk,
lablgtk2, camlimages...

I think it is bet to generate camlimages2.

Off course it should be best to move to lablgtk2 -> lablgtk... But there
is always people assuming lablgtk is lablgtk...

Maybe, when there will be time between the last application has migrate
to lablgtk2 to remove lablgtk. But not to rename lablgtk2... Too much
work for approximatively no effect. And when lablgtk3 will be issued
we will have lablgtk3.

To my mind renaming is hard, because 2 or 3 are meant to signifie major
api change...

That's only my point of view.

Regard
Sylvain LE GALL