Re: hppa ocaml build failure :(((

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:53:45AM -0600, LaMont Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 06:27:43PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Cool, but i suppose this means the problem is not really solved, right ?
>
> That or ocaml works around it...

I have CCed upstream about this.

Xavier, you are more aware of what might (or might not) happen here,
would you like to have a look, and/or continue this discussion with John ?

> > > it down.  The unaligned handler does somewhat throttled printks (They're
> > > only throttled within the process, running another one will keep them
> > > coming.)  With as many as ocaml's build was generating, I expect that was
> > > why the system was crashing.
> > So a kernel issue ?
>
> That part is.  Basically an ocaml? feature? exercising a kernel defect.
> Two independent problems working together to make my life difficult... :-)
>
> > That feels strange, since on hppa, only the bytecode compiler is
> > available, and the bytecode stuff, to the best of my knowledge, has
> > everything 32bit aligned. ... Mmm, you are speaking about 16 byte (as in
> > 16 x 8 = 128 bit alignement ?). I will investigate with upstream for
> > this. Is this only for floats, or for everything ?
>
> fstd (128 bit store) is used in setjmp to save state - unless ocaml is
> generating its own hppa assembly (and using fstd...), then it's elsewhere.

I doubt it does that, but let's Xavier respond on this point.

> I'm not aware of the compiler generating that instr other than when doing
> quad floats.

Mmm.

> > Also, if there needs to be a change in ocaml, would it be possible to
> > have an account for upstream on a hppa box so he can track (and fix) the
> > issue ?
>
> We should be able to arrange this.  One should poke taggart or willy to create
> the account on paer (or some other parisc box at hp...)

Maybe it is possible that he has an account already. I remember there
being hppa problems two years ago or so. Don't know if it is active
still though.

> > > But again, it seems to be working now, at least on machines that raise
> > > SIGBUS on unaligned loads/stores.
> > Ok, but may be broken again in the future, best would be to solve this
> > for in ocaml if possible.
>
> And it may crash machines that don't raise it...  It would be good to fix.

Yep, it would.

Xavier, i think we await your response on this point before going
forward.