Re: hppa ocaml build failure :(((

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:09:17AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:41:35AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 09:17:59AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Ok, but now we have the hppa autobuilder maintainer looking at it
> (hopefully) so we will know more about it. I CC him on this mail, so he
> will know about your experience.

Hrmpf...  I disabled unaligned-trap handling on the autobuilder, figuring
that would just result in a nice failure for us to trace - the result is
that ocaml_3.07-6 is now installed.

FWIW, the issue here is that (I believe and so assert) that there is a race
condition in the printk path that is almost never hit, so we've never tracked
it down.  The unaligned handler does somewhat throttled printks (They're
only throttled within the process, running another one will keep them
coming.)  With as many as ocaml's build was generating, I expect that was
why the system was crashing.

If we make the leap and assume that ocaml is not generating hppa assembly,
then my bet would have to go to setjmp being called with a non-aligned
buffer.  (hppa needs 16 byte alignment...)

But again, it seems to be working now, at least on machines that raise SIGBUS
on unaligned loads/stores.

lamont