Re: Comaintainership and Alioth

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:37:37PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>:
>
> > On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 05:58:19PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >   Now that Alioth is working better, do some of you plan to maintain
> > >   packages in alioth? I think it would be practical to comaintain
> > >   packages that way. I plan to use it for some of my packages soon
> > >   hence making it possible to give CVS account to maintainer without
> > >   having the need to get a CVS account in the upstream CVS.
> >
> > Do you think we would need a separate alioth project for each package,
> > or one big umbrella project, where all the ocaml debian maintainers
> > have
> > an account and where each package would be hold in CVS ?
>
> If we consider one project for ocaml packages.
>
> The pro:
> - easier comaintainership because we only need one permission
>   on the whole project
> - no need to create a new project when packaging a new app
>
> The cons:
> - everyone can touch everyone package (?) so we have to trust
> each other
> - we cannot allow someone to commit in only one package (for
> example, to not-yet-maintainers who want to participate)

Yes, the permission thing is the only problem i see, but then it is easy
to check the cvs logs and back out people who mess things. An automated
cvs change mailing list or something such would also help detect
problems, and once a problem is detected, the change can easily be
removed again.

Most probably, these would be caused by mistake and not evil intent, so
a gentle reminder would be in order.

Now, there is also a subversion server in the alioth project, is there
not, which could be used in place of CVS, and which supposedly has more
permission checking thingies. Not sure though.

I personnally think that the pro's outweight the con's, and that anyway,
we will not upload directly from there, but do some sanity checks
anyway.