Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

 Dear Denis,

 thank you for your comments. I basically completely agree with you.
 I just tried to make the issue clear: I was not proposing/criticizing
 the debian solution. Anyway...

> >  Still, let's try to execute testB: it does not work!!! The -rpath is
> >  used only by the linker, not by the loader!

> Hey this is normal,

 Exactly what I was saying ;-)
 The question marks were there to emphasize that. ;-))

> >  To sum up: Xavier decided to use the -rpath trick to avoid setting
> >  LD_LIBRARY_PATH when linking.
>
> I disagree, rpath stands for 'runtime library search path', according to ld(1).

 I agree. I should have written LD_RUN_PATH. That's my fault.

> But there is one major problem, imagine that you installed everything,
> and 3 months later there is a new release.

 That's right. This is a big issue. I agree with Sven that we should
 ask Xavier to add a flag to avoid adding the -rpath. At the same
 time (as usual), Sven is only concerned by a 100% pure-debian host.
 In the real world users are also installing other libraries by hand
 and these libraries expect the installed libraries to have the -rpath.
 Thus we should ask Xavier something more: he should make the
 -norpath the default and deprecate its usage. [ I think that this is
 not too much problematic now that we have stublibs. ]

> I do not follow you.  OCaml is configured so that libraries are found in
> the stublibs directory

 My concern was about old libraries (i.e. libraries released _before_ the
 introduction of stublibs).

> AFAICT this does only make sense with 3rd party softwares, I cannot find
> any example where -rpath is useful for Debian packages.

 I agree.

> Sure, your example was really great, it helped me a lot to understand
> how to compile OCaml libraries.

 It helped me in the same way ;-)

 						Cheers,
						C.S.C.

Real name: Claudio Sacerdoti Coen
PhD Student in Computer Science at University of Bologna
E-mail: sacerdot@cs.unibo.it
http://www.cs.unibo.it/~sacerdot