Re: status update?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:01:46AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> > This

> > > I disagree! Don't upload that hack to the archive!
> >
> > Ok, that is what i was waiting to hear.
> >
> > Please tell me why it is a hack ? It is just the same package with a
>
> It is a hack because it is not necessary to do this split. You propose
> to make ocaml_3.06.orig.tar.gz an empty new package and people who
> used to get the sources with apt-get source are going to be confused.

No, i just want to upload ocaml-3.06_3.06.orig.tar.gz, i won't touch the
existing package for now at least.

Mmm, i understand you argument about the apt-get source, but this is a
new one if i am not wrong. Do you really think it would be a problem ?

BTW, what would be the apt-get source reaction if i build depended the
ocaml package on ocaml-3.06 ?

> We don't have to do bugware in order to work around others' problems.
> I think it would be possible to ship everything in a single package,
> even this versioned package, instead of having multiple packages.

But does the benefit of having only a single package (if they are such
benefits) outweight the benefit of having multiple packages ?

> > new
> > name, so it can go into testing. Additionnally, all ocaml packages
> > should depend on the -3.06-1 variation and thus will be as happy with
> > the true -3.06-1 packages as they were with the virtual ones. No
> > change
> > on is required on either the other ocaml packages or for the user. The
> > user will not see this package anyway, until i upload the ocaml
> > 3.06-16
> > package that is.
> >
> > > RC bugs are not our fault and we don't have to do bugware
> > > on our side to solve them!
> >
> > Well the only two alternatives are really :
> >
> >   o We forget about the mini-freeze and all the work it has implied,
> > and
> >   compromize our chances of having 3.06 in sarge. At least this would
> >   imply an effort equal to the mini-freeze later on.
>
> Sarge is very far from being released. If it is just a matter of
> removing packages from testing, we must ask again for the removal
> until it is done.

Ok, please go ahead, i have filled the bug report two week ago, CCed to
aj, written a follow up a few days ago, posted stuff about this on
debian-devel, and no reply whatsover. If you want, please go ahead, and
post to the bug report.

> >   o We don't move and wait for other to fix the postgresql/libvorbis
> >   bugs. You notice that nobody has answered the postgresql call for
> > help
> >   on debian-devel, so i don't suppose this bug will be fixed anytime
> >   soon.
>
> According to the BTS, ther aren't any bugs with libvorbis.

A, no, just 105 packages which depend on it, and will be broken by
libvorbis, in testing, and more than half of them are not ready to enter
testing. i have a partial list somewhere, let me check ... Ok here it
goes.

    * adonthell : hppa

    * alsaplayer : Valid Candidate.

    * amoeba : arm, sparc built ok, but package disapeared.

    * kdemultimedia : 4 RC bugs, out of date on s390.

    * audacity : 1 RC bug, out of date on hppa and powerpc.

    * bitcollider : OK.

    * black-box : Valid Candidate.

    * brahms : Only 3/10, alpha, arm, hppa, m68k, s390, kdemultimedia.

    * bugsquish : OK.

    * bumprace : OK.

    * cantus : Calid Candidate.

    * castle-combat : Only 0/10.

    * chromium : 1 RC bug, out of date on arm.

    * circuslinux : OK.

    * clanlib : 3 RC bugs, need a rebuild, libdirectfb & libvorbis dependant.

    * crimson : m68k.

    * criticalmass : mips/mipsel.

    * csmash : Valid Candidate.

    * defendgui : OK.

    * easytag : 1RC bug, ia64.

    * enigma : Valid Candidate.

    * fags : 3 of 10 days.

    * frozen-bubble : alpha, arm, m68k.

    * gcompris : 2 RC bugs.

    * gemdropx : OK.

    * gjay, gl-117, gltron, gqmpeg, gtoaster, heroes-sdl, icebreaker, jack,
    * jumpnbump, kdebase-audiolibs, kdebase-dev, kdemultimedia-dev, kreatecd,
    * langband-zterm, lbreakout2, lgeneral, libarts-mpeglib, libopenal-dev,
    * libopenal0, libsdl-mixer1.2, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-ocaml,
    * libsdl-ocaml-dev, libsdl-perl, libsdl-ruby, libxine-dev, libxine0,
    * ltris, madbomber, mangoquest, mirrormagic, moon-lander, mp3blaster,
    * mp3c, mp3kult, mpeglib, noatun, noatun-plugins, penguin-command, prboom,
    * pygame, python-pyvorbis, race, ripperx, rockdodger, rocks-n-diamonds,
    * saytime, simplecdrx, sinek, sox, sox-dev, sweep, terminatorx, timidity,
    * toppler, tuxpaint, tuxpuck, tuxracer, tuxtype, vectoroids, vegastrike,

    * vorbit-tools : Valid Candidate.

    * vorbisgain : Valid Candidate.

    * vsound : OK.

    * xine-ui : 4 RC bugs, arm, m68k, mips, mipsel, s390

    * zinf : 1 RC bug, alpha and hppa.