Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:49:33AM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
>  That's right. This is a big issue. I agree with Sven that we should
>  ask Xavier to add a flag to avoid adding the -rpath. At the same
>  time (as usual), Sven is only concerned by a 100% pure-debian host.

Not so, ...

>  In the real world users are also installing other libraries by hand
>  and these libraries expect the installed libraries to have the -rpath.

If the debian packaged libraries remove the rpath and the user installed
libraries use it, will that not solve the problem ? Have the debian
package work ok for us, but keep the user visible behavior exactly as
the upstream one ? If people don't like it, they should ask the ocaml
team about it.

>  Thus we should ask Xavier something more: he should make the
>  -norpath the default and deprecate its usage. [ I think that this is
>  not too much problematic now that we have stublibs. ]

But this is a complete turn around from your previous position, is it
not ?

> > I do not follow you.  OCaml is configured so that libraries are found in
> > the stublibs directory
>
>  My concern was about old libraries (i.e. libraries released _before_ the
>  introduction of stublibs).

A, ok,

> > AFAICT this does only make sense with 3rd party softwares, I cannot find
> > any example where -rpath is useful for Debian packages.
>
>  I agree.

:)))