Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 11:49:33AM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
>  Dear Denis,
>
>  thank you for your comments. I basically completely agree with you.
>  I just tried to make the issue clear: I was not proposing/criticizing
>  the debian solution. Anyway...

Even if this was not your intention, you have this right ;)

[...]
>  That's right. This is a big issue. I agree with Sven that we should
>  ask Xavier to add a flag to avoid adding the -rpath. At the same
>  time (as usual), Sven is only concerned by a 100% pure-debian host.

If you think so, it looks like he fails making his position clear ;)

>  In the real world users are also installing other libraries by hand
>  and these libraries expect the installed libraries to have the -rpath.
>  Thus we should ask Xavier something more: he should make the
>  -norpath the default and deprecate its usage. [ I think that this is
>  not too much problematic now that we have stublibs. ]

No, AFAICT Sven's position is that -rpath should be the default so that
manually installed libraries and programs can be linked with any library,
but a -norpath flag will be used when building packages.
This should make everyone happy, unless we miss some problems.

[...]
> > Sure, your example was really great, it helped me a lot to understand
> > how to compile OCaml libraries.
>
>  It helped me in the same way ;-)

If you have time and energy, you could play with ocamlopt and "objdump -p"
to understand how -rpath interacts with RPATH sections in ELF binaries.
I will try to do it myself.

Denis