Re: status update?

En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:35:37AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
> >

> > > Ok, if nobody disagrees, i will upload ocaml-3.06 to the archive.
> This
> > > would take time, as it is a new package and such, but it should be
> > > transparent for the rest of the ocaml stuff.
> > >
> > > I don't believe any of the other solutions can really be solved
> > > without
> > > intervention of people outside the debian-ocaml team (us that is),
> > > intervention which we are very unlikely to get, and get responded by
> > > fix the RC bugs (in postgresql, libvorbis, etc ...) :(((
> >
> > I disagree! Don't upload that hack to the archive!
>
> Ok, that is what i was waiting to hear.
>
> Please tell me why it is a hack ? It is just the same package with a

It is a hack because it is not necessary to do this split. You propose
to make ocaml_3.06.orig.tar.gz an empty new package and people who
used to get the sources with apt-get source are going to be confused.

We don't have to do bugware in order to work around others' problems.
I think it would be possible to ship everything in a single package,
even this versioned package, instead of having multiple packages.

> new
> name, so it can go into testing. Additionnally, all ocaml packages
> should depend on the -3.06-1 variation and thus will be as happy with
> the true -3.06-1 packages as they were with the virtual ones. No
> change
> on is required on either the other ocaml packages or for the user. The
> user will not see this package anyway, until i upload the ocaml
> 3.06-16
> package that is.
>
> > RC bugs are not our fault and we don't have to do bugware
> > on our side to solve them!
>
> Well the only two alternatives are really :
>
>   o We forget about the mini-freeze and all the work it has implied,
> and
>   compromize our chances of having 3.06 in sarge. At least this would
>   imply an effort equal to the mini-freeze later on.

Sarge is very far from being released. If it is just a matter of
removing packages from testing, we must ask again for the removal
until it is done.

>   o We don't move and wait for other to fix the postgresql/libvorbis
>   bugs. You notice that nobody has answered the postgresql call for
> help
>   on debian-devel, so i don't suppose this bug will be fixed anytime
>   soon.

According to the BTS, ther aren't any bugs with libvorbis.

--
Jérôme Marant <jerome@marant.org>
              <jerome.marant@free.fr>

http://marant.org