Re: status update?

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 09:35:37AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>

> > Ok, if nobody disagrees, i will upload ocaml-3.06 to the archive. This
> > would take time, as it is a new package and such, but it should be
> > transparent for the rest of the ocaml stuff.
> >
> > I don't believe any of the other solutions can really be solved
> > without
> > intervention of people outside the debian-ocaml team (us that is),
> > intervention which we are very unlikely to get, and get responded by a
> > fix the RC bugs (in postgresql, libvorbis, etc ...) :(((
>
> I disagree! Don't upload that hack to the archive!

Ok, that is what i was waiting to hear.

Please tell me why it is a hack ? It is just the same package with a new
name, so it can go into testing. Additionnally, all ocaml packages
should depend on the -3.06-1 variation and thus will be as happy with
the true -3.06-1 packages as they were with the virtual ones. No change
on is required on either the other ocaml packages or for the user. The
user will not see this package anyway, until i upload the ocaml 3.06-16
package that is.

> RC bugs are not our fault and we don't have to do bugware
> on our side to solve them!

Well the only two alternatives are really :

  o We forget about the mini-freeze and all the work it has implied, and
  compromize our chances of having 3.06 in sarge. At least this would
  imply an effort equal to the mini-freeze later on.

  o We don't move and wait for other to fix the postgresql/libvorbis
  bugs. You notice that nobody has answered the postgresql call for help
  on debian-devel, so i don't suppose this bug will be fixed anytime
  soon.