Re: ocaml-3.06 3.06-16 ready to be tested ...

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 02:56:41PM +0100, Remi VANICAT wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> [...]
>

> > Well, my idea was to have all packages fill a /usr/bin/ocamlrun-3.06 and
> > so, and have the compiler use that when building programs. We can sure
> > have a ocamlrun -> ocamlrun-3.06 symlink (set by the dummy ocaml package
> > maybe) as an alternative and not a diversion. Anyway, i guess mostly
> > nobody runs ocamlrun directly anyway.
> >
> > BTW, diversions would not work, since what we want is to be able to run
> > binaries compiled with ocaml 3.06 _and_ also binaries built with ocaml
> > 3.07. it will not do to have to move the diversions around or to
> > remove/install packages by the way.
> >

> my problem is to run program like camlgrenouille : camlgrenouille is
> distributed as a binary package containing a #/usr/bin/ocamlrun

Well, not after i convince upstream to change this ocamlrun to a
ocamlrun-version :)))

That said, a simple sed script or a hand modification of the above path
should solve your problem in an easier way than any diversion or symlink
moving. What if the binary packages comes with the more usual
/usr/local/bin/ocamlrun ?

> script. I would like to be able to run it out of the box. Then
> diversion can be useful for having this ocamlrun in several package
> at the same time.

Well, yes, i see your problem, but i don't think a diversion would work
well for you. Mmm, maybe i know not enough about diversions. This means
you would need to change the symlink each time you wish to run this
program and each time you set it back.

> > Notice that we already discussed this some time ago, and we agreed that
> > we will not keep multiple versions at the same time, since this will be
> > to heavy a weight on the maintainers, so these plans are only for the
> > transition period and maybe for the CVS version.
>
> well, my problem is not a transition problem. it is the use of third
> party program.

Yes, but notice that for third party binaries to work, we need to keep a
full copy of each ocaml release and the corresponding libraries around,
which we decided against. Mmm, i suppose the libraries are no probleme,
since your third party program is not using them or is -custom built ?
No i think not, so maybe it does not use any external libraries.

Friendly,

Svne Luther