Re: inter libraries dependencies again

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:46:51PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > > The problem was that some of the autobuilder guys complained that
> > build
> > > daemons doesn't like virtual build dependencies.
> >
> > James Troup, no less.
> >
> > But we have no more info on this, and i think it only affects the arm
> > autobuilder, i think.
> >
> > > So my proposal is to restate the above policy using standard ways
> > > (>=/<<), if this is okay for you I will rewrite the policy chapter.
> >
> > :(((
> >
> > If you do that, how can you be sure at what version an incompatibility
>
> Like we always did before. We just have to change the build-deps
> and reupload.

Let's take as an example the just done libdir migration.

Suppose you all uploaded your packages with ocaml (>=3.06), ocaml
(<<3.07).

Then, when i changed the libdir, there would have been no way to know in
advance about this, and since you did not (<<3.06-13), ocaml 3.06-13
would have been installed while no library would have been rebuilt for
the new libdir, and all hell would have got broken.

One solution for this is to have a dependency of the kind : ocaml (>=
3.06), ocaml (<< 3.06.1) or even ocaml (>= 3.06-1), ocaml (<< 3.06-2)
and use two part debian versions (as in 3.06-1.1, 3.06-1.2, ...), which
is contrary to policy.

But in any case we will not do that now, just before the current ocaml
3.06 is ready to enter testing.

> > will crop in ? Maybe Jerome will lend us his cristal ball ?
>
> Yes, and the cristal ball tells that everything's alright and we
> should go for it. With which I agree of course.

But it would not have survived the libdir transition for example. Sure i
doubt there will be an incompatible change before 3.07 is released, but
still, one can never be sure.

> > Yes, but i think we must first finish looking into the problem before
> > we
> > jump to implement it.
>
> No, we must get back to something that really works rather that something
> that hurts autobuilders.

Just because the arm autobuilder has problem with it, and the arm
autobuilder maintainer refuses to give more information on what is
exactly causing the problem.

It does not seem that any of the other autobuilders have any kind of
problem with this, but i may be wrong. I will ask James again, and if
he does not respond, ask on debian-devel or debian-mentors, but please
refrain from some hasty move before we have complete information.