Re: Dpkg in Ocaml

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:42:16AM -0800, David Brown wrote:
> I did a 'dpkg -s ocaml' and it reported it as non-free/devel.  I don't
> know why it is reporting that for 3.06.  It doesn't on another machine
> that I have.

'dpkg -s' dumps information from the database of _installed_ packages
'dpkg -p' dumps information from the database of _available_ packages

I think that installed packages database can be out of date if you, for
example, install a package and the remove it; in such a case the entry
in this database can remain the same almost forever while the same entry
in the available packages database will be updated each time you perform
and apt-get or dselect update.

To have up to date information about packages meta information is alway
better to use 'dpkg -p' or apt-get/dselect.

Stefano Zacchiroli  -  undergraduate student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
   zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
 "I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
 sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney