Re: Dpkg in Ocaml

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 06:32:16AM -0800, David Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 08:15:27AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > Now, another problem is that a coq/ocaml solution is something very very
> > remote from what debian developpers are used to, and the step to entry
> > for people to work on it and do modification and bug fixes (or more
> > probably new features, since hopefully there would be no bugs) would be
> > quite high.
>
> There is a deeper, fundamental, issue here.  The ocaml compiler doesn't
> comply with the Debian Free Software Guidelines, it is in the non-free
> section.  (This library does).

Err, what are you speaking about ? both ocaml and coq are in main, and
this since i took over maintainership in 98, well, at least since
shortly thereafter, don't remember well.  There still was some issues,
but they were solved,a and even RMS gave its benediction. So ocaml is
today not less free than gcc, so i don't see what you are speaking about.

There is a problem with the ocaml documentation, which is in non-free,
but this is another issue altogether.

> I don't think the Debian developers would be all that keen making the
> core Debian package dependent on a non-free tool.

Please stop spreading uninformed FUD.